God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.'” ~Exodus 3:14 (ESV)
I AM. When Moses asked God what His name was, this was the name God chose for Himself. Two of the shortest words in the English language speak volumes when put in the context of God. He was. He is. He always will be. He was, is and will be what? He was what I needed when I needed Him. He is who I need right now. He will be who I need Him to be tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after that. Every day brings new challenges, opportunities and experiences. And every day, God is exactly what I need:
- A couple of years ago, I went through a rather intense time of spiritual attack that came in the form of nightmares and a paralyzing fear of the dark. In the midst of that fight, God was I AM: Your Strong Tower and Refuge.
- In the year and a half since I lost my job, I have seen over and over again that God is I AM: Your Provider.
- A year ago, I spent a week in the hospital while some of my organs debated amongst themselves whether they were going to work. In the weeks following my illness and surgery, God was I AM: Your Healer.
- Yesterday as I worshipped Him, witnessed fellow believers be baptized, hung out with friends new and old, and worshipped Him some more, God was I AM: Your Joy.
- Last week as I worked on some service projects for families in my church, God was I AM: Your Love.
No matter what the situation – happy, sad, exciting, frightening, energizing, exhausting – God is exactly what we need. He is our Creator, our Sustainer. Our Peace, our Defender. Our Deliver, our Redeemer. Our Father, our Friend. He is the Beginning of all things and the End of time and space. He is our Righteousness, our Comforter, the Way, the Truth. He is our Life. He is Bread, Water, and Shelter. He is God with us, for us and in us. He is Light in the darkness. He is Calm in the storm. He is Laughter in sorrow and Joy in pain.
No matter what your day holds, whether good or bad, God is everything you will need to live from sunrise to sunset. Take Him at His word and allow Him to be who He is. Because who He is is all you need.
What aspect of God’s character means the most to you right now? For what aspect of His character are you most grateful today?